
Latest news updates for Sunday 12th July 2020.
Latest figures:
There have been no new deaths reported to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) today.
There has now been a total of 1,746 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.
As of midnight Saturday 11th July, the HPSC has been notified of 17 confirmed cases of COVID-19. There is now a total of 25,628 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.
Dr Ronan Glynn, Acting Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said: “This virus is still out there. It is still in people. It only needs the smallest window of opportunity to become a major problem once again.
“Please continue to protect yourself and others - watch out for symptoms, wash your hands and wear a face covering where appropriate. If you have any concern about symptoms, do not delay – isolate yourself and contact your GP immediately.”
No new cases have been confirmed in the region, which leaves the total at 1,427.
676 in Westmeath, 486 in Offaly and 265 in Laois.
Scotland:
There haven't been any new Covid-19 related deaths in Scotland in the last 24 hours - for a fourth day in a row.
Wales hasn't reported any either.
Another 15 hospital patients in England have died with the virus.
Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says she's monitoring a rise in infections 'closely' after the number of cases climbed to a three-week high.
Travel:
The Taoiseach says government's taking a 'cautious' approach to the return of international travel.
Currently people are advised against travelling abroad, except in essential circumstances.
Micheal Martin says added safety measures at airports may be needed before a 'green list' of countries people can visit is published.
The Fianna Fail leader says it's important the country's careful about how it resumes international travel.
School uniforms:
Principals are calling for school uniforms to be abandoned ahead of schools re-opening in September.
According to Irish Mail on Sunday, the President of the National Association of Principals and Deputy Principals is urging schools to be flexible with their clothing policy.
Alan Mongey says ensuring uniforms are washed every day during the pandemic could overburden parents.
He says specific guidelines on uniforms and other health and hygiene practices will be developed over the coming weeks before a return to the classroom.
App:
The HSE says its new contact tracing app has already detected positive cases of Covid-19.
The app, which was launched last Tuesday, has over one million downloads so far.
According to the Business Post, it has detected cases of coronavirus in people not found through manual contact tracing.
The HSE says these are people who would never have been picked up otherwise.
Travel:
The World Health Organisation's warning safeguards need to be in place if country's are to resume international travel.
The government here's drawing up a 'green list' of safe countries for people to visit during the pandemic - that's due on July 20th.
It comes amid growing concern about a second wave - last night the number of new cases remained above 20 for a third day in a row.
WHO spokesperson Margaret Harris says international travel should only be advised if country's are confident they can manage any resulting outbreaks:
Pubs:
A Dublin councillor says the few pubs breaching social distancing guidelines are putting other publicans at risk.
Christy Burke says he's been told by gardai any pubs flouting the rules will have their licences opposed in September.
Bars not serving food will be allowed to open their doors again from July 20th, but there's speculation this will be delayed.
Councillor Burke says people socialising outside pubs also have to be responsible for their actions:
Local figures:
23 more people have tested positive for Covid-19, and two more patients infected with the virus here have died.
The latest update from the Department of Health brings the total number of cases to over 25 thousand six hundred, and the death toll to 1,746.
It's the third day in a row more than 20 cases a day have emerged in the Republic -- the first time that's happened since the start of June.
No new cases have been confirmed in the region, which leaves the total at 1,427.
676 in Westmeath, 486 in Offaly and 265 in Laois.
Professor Tomás Ryan, Associate Professor at the school of Biochemistry and Immunology at Trinity College, says it's a concerning trend: