
At least 700 people have been killed.
The daughter of a midlands woman is among those missing following an attack by Hamas militants.
22-year-old Kim Damti, who has joint Irish and Israeli citizenship, has been unaccounted for since Saturday.
Her mother, Jennifer, is from Portlaoise.
The Department of Foreign Affairs is aware of this case and says touch it's providing consular assistance to the family.
The weekend of violence saw 1,100 people killed, and Israel's formally declared war on the Islamist group.
Unicef Executive Director, Peter Power has just returned to Ireland from Gaza and feels the humanitarian crisis will get worse:
Foreign News Correspondent with ABC News James Longman has been speaking to David Hollywood on Midlands Today, and says he's been in touch with the family:
In a statement to Midlands 103, The Department of Foreign Affairs says:
"The Department is aware of this case and we are in touch with the family directly and providing consular assistance."
The Israeli government says Hamas militants have kidnapped more than 100 people, many of them now in Gaza. Children, grandmothers and young people are reportedly among the hostages. @JamesAALongman reports from Israel. https://t.co/8oqvihiywm pic.twitter.com/J9vwsjSbfz
— World News Tonight (@ABCWorldNews) October 8, 2023
Today I met Jennifer. Her 22yr old daughter Kim called her in a panic from the desert party. Rockets firing overhead. She told her to hide. Since then, silence
— James Longman (@JamesAALongman) October 8, 2023
“All I can think about is where she is. If she’s suffering, if she’s still alive. I just want her back.” @ABCWorldNews pic.twitter.com/8K63LjOMjD